Frequently Asked Questions

About AUS

Where is the American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland located?

The American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland is in the French-speaking region of Switzerland, in La Tour-de-Peilz. Approximately one hour away from Geneva and 25 minutes from Lausanne by train. Nestled between the lakeside communities of Montreux, famous for its world-renown Jazz Festival and Vevey, headquarters for the world-leading Nestlé, AUS offers the ideal environment to obtain your business degree. International connections to all the major cities of Europe by rail or air are within easy reach.
Is the American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland an accredited institution?
AUS is accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE, USA) and the European Council for Business Education (ECBE).

Students who are enrolled to the Dual Degree program have their degrees also accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), and the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).

AUS is chartered under Swiss Law and recognized by the Department of Education of the Canton Vaud as an institute of Higher Education. In addition, AUS is a member of diverse professional organizations such as the Awards for Training in Higher Education (ATHE), Vaudoise Association of Private Schools (AVDEP), Swiss Federation of Private Schools (FSEP) and Promove

Visit the Accreditation and Ranking Page

How can I receive more information about AUS?

The AUS Office of Admissions is glad to help applicants and their families with any inquiries they may have about the institution and its programs.
Book a Call
Fill up the Contact Form
Does the American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland collaborate with other institutions?
Yes, AUS has a range of collaborations with other institutions to offer students an enriched education and learning experience. We currently have exciting collaborations with institutions such as Tiffin University, Ferrari Fashion School and more.

Discover all the Educational Partnerships
Admissions and Applications

Do I have to pay an application fee when applying to AUS?

No, the American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland does not charge an application fee to apply for one of our degrees.

Only after the student has been accepted to the degree program must they pay an Admission Fee to guarantee their spot.

Start Your Application

How do I submit my application?

Students must either complete the online application form or download and fill out the pdf application to apply to the American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland.

Applicants must attach the relevant documentation in order for the Office of Admissions to evaluate their applications.

Complete the Online Application Form

Download the PDF Application Form

What documents are required in order to apply to AUS?

For the Office of Admissions to review the application the following documents are required: 

Bachelor Degree Applicants 
  1. The completed and signed application form.
  2. A photocopy of the valid passport.
  3. Official High School transcripts and diploma.
  4. Two letters of recommendation.
  5. Motivation letter.
  6. CV.
  7. Six passport-size photographs.
  8. Proof of English proficiency.
  9. Evidence of sufficient financial means and/or sponsor letter.
  10. The completed and signed Offer Letter, upon acceptance.

Master Degree Applicants
  1. The completed and signed application form.
  2. A photocopy of the valid passport.
  3. Official bachelor’s degree diploma and transcripts.
  4. Two letters of recommendation.
  5. Motivation letter.
  6. CV.
  7. Six passport-size photographs.
  8. Proof of English proficiency.
  9. Evidence of work experience, if applicable.
  10. Evidence of sufficient financial means and/or sponsor letter.
  11. The completed and signed Offer letter, upon acceptance.

Click here to learn about the Admission Requirements in detail
What are the English language requirements for applying to AUS?
Applicants who intend to apply to AUS must meet one of the following English requirements if they are not native English speakers:

  1. Prove that they have attended for at least three recent full years of study in an institution where the sole language of instruction is English.
  2. Provide proof of english proficiency - A test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required from all applicants whose native language is not English and/or who attended a non-English school or workplace.
  • TOEFL minimum score requirement IBT 80/CBT 550
  • IELTS minimum score requirement: 6.0
IELTS or TOEFL scores must not be older than 2 years for them to be valid

Note: Students whose English is not adequate for university-level work will be placed in the Intensive English program.

When can I apply to AUS?
Applications are processed on a rolling admissions basis.

AUS has three academic start dates per year
September - Fall Intake
January - Winter Intake
April - Spring Intake

Click here to learn more about the next Application Deadlines
Does AUS accept transfer credits?
AUS accepts transfer students from other recognized universities.

If the student is interested in transferring to AUS, the official academic transcript (in English) must be provided.

The academic team will review it to determine the courses and credits that can be transferred and applied to our program.

Transfer credits are accepted from recognized colleges and universities for those courses which apply to AUS programs. A grade of “C” (75%) or higher must have been obtained for the transference of credits.

Want to transfer to AUS? Click here to contact us.
I received an Offer Letter to study at AUS. What should I do next?
Congratulations on receiving the Offer Letter!
Please review and sign the Offer Letter and send it back to the Admissions Office by the defined deadline.
Proceed to making the admission fee payment.
Can I get help with completing my application?
Yes, the Office of Admissions is glad to assist you with completing your application.
Please contact us by phone at +41 21 944 95 01 or via our contact form if you need assistance with your application.

Contact Us
How long does it take to get a decision on my application once I apply?
The American University of Applied Sciences Institute in Switzerland's Admissions Committee meets once a week to discuss applicants.

After submitting your entire application, you should receive a response within 10-14 days.
Can I defer my entry?
Yes, you can defer your entry once within an academic year. If you wish to defer longer, you may be required to complete the application process again.
How much time does it take from application to enrollment?
We recommend that students allow at least three months from application to admission.
The visa application process may take longer for international students who require a student visa.
Fees and Finance

When do I need to pay the Admission Fee?

The AUS Admission Fee must be paid by the deadline specified in the Offer Letter.
If the deadline is missed, your application will be automatically rejected.

How do I pay the Admission and Tuition Fees?

You can pay your Admission and Tuition Fees by a bank transfer or online with a credit card.
Payment options and banking details of AUS will be indicated in the Offer Letter.

How much do I have to pay for tuition fees?

Your tuition fees will be detailed in your offer letter to show how much your total tuition will be. You can also visit our tuition fees page for more information.
Do you offer flexible payment plans?
We offer two payment plan options for you to pay your tuition fees: termly or annually.
I have paid my Admission Fee. What happens next?
Once you have paid your admission fee and sent us a confirmation, the Admissions Office will send you a confirmation receipt. You will then receive instructions regarding the next steps of the process.
Student Visa and Health Insurance

Do I require health insurance when studying in Switzerland?

Yes, all students studying in Switzerland are required to obtain health insurance.
AUS works with a range of health insurance providers from which you can opt.

Only when you arrive in Switzerland are you required to get health insurance. During registration week, the AUS Administration staff will supply you with all insurance information.

Do I require a student visa to study in Switzerland?

Non-EU/EFTA students will need to apply for a visa to enter Switzerland.
When your application is complete, the Office of Admissions will send you all of the paperwork you need to submit in order to apply for a student visa.

Please keep in mind that the student visa application procedure might take up to three months, therefore we recommend that you apply as soon as possible.

When you arrive in Switzerland, you must apply for a residence permit. You will be able to travel freely throughout Switzerland and the Schengen area with this permit.

Do you help students get their visa to study in Switzerland?

We provide all relevant documentation to support your visa application to the embassy, but you must contact the embassy to attain the specific visa requirements and request an appointment.
How do I apply for my student visa?
To apply for your visa, you must contact your local Swiss embassy or consulate.
If you have any questions, please contact the administration team.
How long does it take to get a student visa?
Visa applications can take up to three months to process depending on the time of year and the length of the application review process at your local Swiss embassy or consulate.
What happens if my visa application is rejected?
If your visa application is rejected for any reason, you are eligible to appeal.
Please refer to the administration team for more information regarding the appeal process.
Do I need to pay for my student visa application?
Please check the relevant information with your local Swiss embassy or consulate to see if they have any payable application fees.
Can I work when I study on a student visa?
Foreign students may work a maximum of 15 hours per week during their studies, and up to 100 percent during semester breaks. This must be reported in all cases to the responsible immigration authorities.

Students from outside the EU/EFTA region may only start working six months after the beginning of their studies. 
Do I have to leave Switzerland once my studies are completed?
Your visa will state the amount of time you can stay or the date by which you must leave the country. These dates are set by the immigration authorities and must be followed accordingly.

Does AUS have accommodation for students?

Yes, AUS provides students with a variety of housing options, including single rooms and shared rooms.
Click here to learn more about the accommodation options

Accommodation is not included in the tuition fees. 

Where is the accommodation located?

AUS has two accommodation locations:

La Tour-de-Peilz Accommodation Option - This accommodation option is located is in the center of La Tour-de-Peilz, a one-minute walk from the lakeside and a ten-minute walk from the campus. The nearest train station is also a 5-minute walk.

Vevey Accommodation Option - This accommodation option is located close to the Vevey train station and the Manor shopping complex.

All accommodation options of the American University in Switzerland are located close to all local amenities. 

What type of accommodation is available?

Students can choose between shared and single rooms; please note that single rooms are a higher cost.
All rooms are fully furnished and include all the necessary furniture and bathroom. The accommodation includes a communal kitchen and dining area, as well as a laundry facility.
When can I move into my accommodation?
You can move into your accommodation one week before the start of the term.
If you plan to arrive in Switzerland earlier please contact the administration team in order to check for availability.
Are there any other accommodation providers?
AUS students are housed on a first-come, first-served basis in our accommodation to ensure an easy transition to life in Switzerland.

Students can search for private accommodation if they wish to do so, however, for ease and convenience, we advise students to stay in AUS accommodation for at least the first year of study.
Registration and Enrollment
When does term start?
The academic year has three start dates in January, April, and September. For the Academic Year 2022-23 the start dates are:

Fall Term 2022 - September 6, 2022
Winter Term 2023 - January 3, 2023
Spring Term 2023 - May 2, 2023
How do I register as a student?

Once you have arrived in Switzerland, you will meet with our administration team, who will help complete your registration as a student at AUS.
How do I get my student ID card?
Once you have arrived in Switzerland, you will meet with our administration team, who will help complete your registration as a student at AUS.
When will I get my timetable?
You will receive your timetable two weeks before the term starts.
Do I need to do anything specific before arriving on campus?
Before you arrive in Switzerland, you will receive an email, which will contain information regarding your arrival on campus and what you will be required to do beforehand, what to bring and other important information.
Arrival in Switzerland

What is the nearest airport to the campus?

Geneva Airport is the closest airport to AUS and is approximately 75-90 minutes by train. You can check trains and times via the SBB CFF website.

Where can I get the train?

The train station of La Tour-de-Peilz is located within a 2-minute walk from the center of the town and a 5-minute walk from the AUS campus. From here you can take trains to Vevey, Montreux, Lausanne, Geneva and more.

What do I need to do when I arrive in Switzerland?

When you arrive in Switzerland, our administration team will be in touch with you to arrange a meeting to guide you through the next steps and help you settle in Switzerland.